Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Team Velagic Evens The Score


The Gooner returns.

The Lipper gets mad.

A rookie almost gets three in his second play-off game.

What more could someone ask for?

"It was looking like snails mating last week" commented Zamboni driver Jerry . "Now tonight, that was a play-off game."

Jerry should know, he's been watching TNH playoff games for nigh on twenty years from his lofty perch on the blue and white ice devil. BUT ENOUGH ABOUT JERRY.

Lets talk instead about, desire, overcoming anger, and fighting a stifling checking system designed to drain the life out of a man who just wants to play a little hockey.

"I'm a nice guy" commented Red Team forward Lawrence "The Lip"Livesay after the game "but it was getting a little ugly down in that end tonight. I mean how's a guy suppose to do anything with Carter tripping me, Chasse hooking, and Harp well .... my Tuesday night wouldn't be complete if I didn't have to pull the wood chips from Harp's stick out of my lower back now would it. Boy, was I mad."

But instead of overt acts of violence (which run in contrast to his deeply held spiritual beliefs) Livesay chose to channel his anger in more positive ways, scoring the winning goal for the Red Team in a tightly fought battle.

"It unfolded beautifully. I took the pass from Velagic and moved to the centre of the ice, I saw a breath of an opening in Kowalik's pads and utilized Chasse's fat ass, I mean oversized buttocks, as a perfect screen for my shot."

After what had been a less than thrilling opener (many veterans had decided to sit out the first game due to a variety of ailments, including early male menopause) the second game was well worth the price of admission, marked by the return of veteran Velagic from the IR. His undisclosed "lower foot injuries" had kept him on the sideline for six weeks.

And for those who had the time to clock Ned's shifts on the bench, it was like he never left.

"His stamina is amazing" said fellow forward Ricky Cutaia "I just wish I could stay out there as long as he does..."

You do Richard, you do.

Despite the veteran presence, it was a rookie who almost stole the show. Little Matthew Maclaren, the 23 year old nephew of Goalie George managed to score 2 on his aging uncle but couldn't connect for the third.

When asked about what appeared to be a rather overt act of nepotism, the Elder Mac had this to say:

"A nepo what? I'm not Italian. Those were all good goals, that kids got a future in this league."

When pressed, a sheepish George relented.

'The kid drives me okay. My vision ain't so good no more, and being on a pension, I can't afford to pay for gas. Leave me alone okay. I tried on everyone of those shots tonight."

And how about his counting ability? According to the Elder Mac, the final score was 3-2, Red. Which according to my math makes this series all tied up.

Former Captain Gord Lee had this to say: "Three two? Three two? If it was three two then that Maclaren should get his meds ch..."

Careful Gordon, he's playing for you next week.

Any thoughts on the score? Post a comment.

3 comments:

  1. Hey man,

    I can't seem to get my count right. If Matt got two, Brett got one (he was explaining how he aimed to shoot it off Lewis' skate blade), I recall Harp got one and Bruce apparently scored too but we were told after in the change room it was offside (I seem to recall a similar red goal last week that counted!!!) then we would have FIVE????

    "Garbage Boy" Lee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you saying the Big Mac has got it wrong. He's been keeping score for longer than you've been alive Garbage Boy

    ReplyDelete
  3. No update here for the convincing 7-6 win on the 21st for the white team? What, the sled-dog team in Minsk had trouble meeting the bus which lead to you missing your connection on the last flatbed out before the ice road melted?

    Stop dreaming of stardom... let it go already!

    lower body injury is still a concern but, dammit, this is the playoffs... stay tuned...

    ReplyDelete

TNH Blogspot

Followers

About Me

My photo
Overly opinionated, former commissioner of TNH.